What we call "Palekastro" today, was a Minoan town at the Rousolakos location near the modern town of Palekastro.
It is located strategically at the East shore of Crete adjacent to the sheltered harbor of Chiona, a few kilometers North of the palace of Kato Zakros.
The town is still undergoing excavations, and what has been unearthed to date reveal a vigorous commercial hub that was home to an affluent community. The homes, especially those facing the main road were very impressive, can find evidence of affluence in a large building found in area B with a kitchen, four rows of columns, a bathing tank, awell, an altar, a bathroom, and an oil storage facility. A complete sewage systems serviced the entire town. Many every day utilitarian artifacts were found in the ruins like amphoras and oil lamps, along with some precious objects like the Ivory statuette now exhibited at the Sitia Museum.
The ruins at the archaeological site that has been excavated must had been a very small part of a very large settlement.
One gets the feeling that the olive groves beyond the site itself hide a wealth of minoan secrets under their soil.
And in fact, fragments of pottery along the beach, and large stones on the headland that frames the sandy beach to the South testify to the abundant existence of archaeological ruins and artifacts.
This is the result of intense settlement on the area over a few millennia.
The excavations at Palekastro began in the early 1900 AD and still continue to reveal the rich strata of archaeological evidence that begins in the Minoan period and continues to historical times.